Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Backgrounds

I'm finding that one of the biggest challenges I face in every image I color with Copics is coloring the background or grounding the image. I've tried several different techniques and one I am liking more and more is pointillism.

I made this card for Mo's Digital Challenge Blog (#70), which you can find at http://mosdigitalchallenge.blogspot.com/.  This image is called "Giddy-up!" and can be purchased as a digital image from DigitalPencilToo. When coloring this image I used pointillism on the background and grounding. I really like the way this looks. Especially with this image because to me it's all about action and I feel like this background adds action! I followed the layout given in the challenge. This is my first blog challenge and it was fun to come up ideas based on certain criteria.




Materials I used on this card:
Copics W1, W2, W3, W4, E001, E21, E53, YG63, YG67, YG91, R17, R46, R59
Canvas Textured card stock from Coredinationsfoundation
Red paper - not sure - I found it in my scrap pile! (Probably Bazzill)
Green Dots and Stripes from the Travel series from Stamping Station
Black Grosgrain Ribbon
Brad Screws - Karen Foster
Just Smile - sentiment from the Angel Company

A little bit more about Pointillism.  I learned this technique many years ago in High School. Then we used only shades of black\grey to create shadows and depth. I didn't like it then, but I've seen many paper artist using it lately and I love the way it looks. With Copics I have found that using 3 - 4 colors (one contrasting) gives it a great depth. I started with the lightest color and using a very soft touch placed dots around the image with more dots nearer the image. With each color I repeat the process. When I got to the contrasting color I followed the same process but applied a lot less dots. Then I went over it all with the clear blender (using the dotting technique) to soften the look. Finally I started again with the first color applying dots sparingly, doing the same with all the colors again. The blender softens it, but I still wanted some distinguished spots on there to sharpen it some.

So that's what I've been working on. I hope this makes sense!

Thanks for taking a look!

3 comments:

  1. You are so right -- the pointillism is perfect for this image. It really looks like mud flying all up! Very cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol...oh my gosh!! I really like this background! How fun!! And your coloring is just gorgeous!! I love this darling little Mo Manning image! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Mo's!! Pat Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great effect! I love the card, too! Great colors and coloring. Glad you joined us in Mo's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete